Browse salaries by State:

LPN Salary in Arizona: Average Income & Cost of Living Data

Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) work hard for their patients. Therefore, we have prepared a resource on LPN pay for Arizona so that nurses can learn about their earning potential and opportunities to earn more per hour.

Area Cities and Towns Mean Hourly Wage Mean Weekly Wage Mean Monthly Wage Mean Annual Wage
Flagstaff Flagstaff $32.02 $1,280.80 $5,550 $66,600
Prescott Ash Fork, Peoria, Prescott Valley, Prescott $31.01 $1,240.40 $5,375 $64,500
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale Gilbert, Sun City, Goodyear, Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Anthem, Peoria, Youngtown, Maricopa, Surprise, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale, Avondale, Buckeye, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, San Tan Valley, Casa Grande, Apache Junction $30.07 $1,202.80 $5,212.50 $62,550
$29.71 $1,188.40 $5,149.17 $61,790
Tucson Marana, Tucson, Ajo, Oro Valley, Casas Adobes, Catalina Foothills $29.01 $1,160.40 $5,027.50 $60,330
Arizona nonmetropolitan area Gila Bend, Payson, Amado $28.56 $1,142.40 $4,950 $59,400
Sierra Vista-Douglas Sierra Vista $28.01 $1,120.40 $4,855 $58,260
Lake Havasu City-Kingman Fort Mohave, Lake Havasu City, Bullhead City, Kingman $27.74 $1,109.60 $4,809.17 $57,710

This resource provides publicly available information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the MIT Living Wage Calculator about average LPN salaries, employment, location quotient, and living wage in Arizona (most recent information as of December 2023). While Nursa currently offers independent contractor LPNs in Arizona the opportunity to access per diem jobs that pay on an hourly basis rather than access to salaried or wage-based employment opportunities, this information may be a helpful frame of reference for you as you assess the market landscape both in regard to per diem jobs and employment opportunities

LPNs who pick up jobs near Phoenix, Arizona can enjoy the amazing hikes and views on their days off work.

What’s the Difference between an LPN and an RN?

Although the role of a nurse is largely dependent on their work setting, here are some typical differences between LPNs and registered nurses (RNs):

  • LPNs provide primary care to patients. Generally, their care aims to improve the patient’s comfort, provide medications, and support their daily activities. LPN programs are generally shorter than RN programs, and physicians or registered nurses generally supervise licensed practical nurses.
  • RNs provide more specialized patient care and generally base their activities on preparing patient treatment plans. They direct treatment, and although trained to do what an LPN does, they often supervise the work of LPNs and certified nursing assistants (CNAs). Finally, RN education is more extended; RNs typically earn either associate’s or bachelor’s degrees.

Of course, RNs tend to make more than LPNs. For instance, in Arizona, RNs earn a mean annual wage of $86,740, and LPNs earn a mean wage of $61,920, with a difference of $24,820 per year.

What’s the Average LPN Salary in the State of Arizona?

The average LPN pay in Arizona is $61,920 annually or $29.77 per hour. These wages exceed the national average of $55,860 annually or $26.86 per hour by $6,060 per year.

Of course, not all practical nurses in Arizona earn precisely the average wage. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the following is the typical range of LPN wages for Arizona:

  • 90th percentile: $72,920
  • 75th percentile: $65,640
  • 50th percentile: $61,840
  • 25th percentile: $56,840
  • 10th percentile: $50,990

According to this income range, most LPN jobs in Arizona typically pay between $50,990 and $72,920. The 10th percentile indicates that 10 percent of LPNs in Arizona earn an annual mean wage below $50,990 and that the remaining 90 percent earn above this figure. The 90th percentile indicates that 10 percent make above $72,920, and the remaining 90 percent earn below this figure.

LPN Earnings in Arizona per Hour

The average hourly wage for LPNs in Arizona is $29.77. However, the pay for different regions of Arizona varies greatly; it typically ranges from $27.74 in some areas to $32.02 in others. Below is a list of the highest-paying cities for licensed practical nurses in Arizona:

The previous cities offer the highest mean wages for LPNs in Arizona. However, with per diem jobs, LPNs throughout the state can significantly increase their hourly pay. Per diem shifts allow for higher hourly earnings and other advantages for nurses, such as flexibility and job diversity. With Nursa, LPNs can get all the advantages of per diem shifts in these and other cities in Arizona.

How Can I Earn More as an LPN in Arizona?

Many factors affect a practical nurse’s pay. Here are some of those factors:

  • Location: As shown in the table, LPN pay can vary significantly from one city in Arizona to another. Furthermore, urban areas tend to pay higher wages than rural locations.
  • Setting: Facility type can also determine average earnings. For example, LPNs don’t earn the same in hospitals as in nursing homes. 
  • Type of job: Working per diem (also called PRN shifts) almost guarantees higher hourly earnings than working staff positions.

What’s the Typical Cost of Living in Arizona?

Understanding Arizona's average cost of living is also essential to manage finances efficiently. The following table offers some cost of living considerations for different family compositions: 

Living Wage for One Adult Living Wage for One Adult and One Child Living Wage for Two Adults (One Working) and One Child Average LPN Wage in Arizona
Hourly Wage $17.78 $34.87 $35.26 $29.77

Data from the MIT Living Wage Calculator (Most recent information as of October 2023)

Based on this data, LPNs in Arizona can see that the average LPN wage is sufficient to support themselves but not sufficient to singlehandedly support a family. If an LPN has children to support, per diem shifts can help to supplement their income. In fact, many LPNs choose to work per diem full-time or even more. 

Employment and Location Quotient in Arizona

Knowing how much you can earn as an LPN in Arizona can help you decide if it’s the right career for you.

Knowing how much you can earn in Arizona may help you choose the best option when considering independent contractor work or applying for salaried or wage-based employment.

Arizona healthcare facilities have a high demand for LPNs. In general, healthcare facilities have a shortage of nurses, which makes it challenging to offer patients quality care. For every 1,000 jobs in Arizona, there are only 2.07 licensed practical nurses. This concentration of LPNs, called location quotient, is significantly lower than the national average. Whereas the location quotient of LPNs nationwide is one, the LQ in Arizona is 0.48.

How Can I Become an LPN in Arizona?

Although there may be particular circumstances or exceptions, aspiring LPNs in Arizona typically complete practical nursing programs from one of the schools accredited by the Arizona State Board of Nursing. Upon completing the program, they must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) and apply for a nursing license in Arizona. Some exceptions may apply, so be sure to check with Arizona’s official regulations to become an LPN.

Here are some top colleges offering LPN nursing classes in Arizona:

  • Pima Medical Institute, Tuscon
  • Cochise College
  • Arizona State University
  • Gateway Community College, Phoenix
  • Northern Arizona University
  • Yavapai College
  • University of Arizona
  • Eastern Arizona College

Find Per Diem LPN Independent Contractor Jobs in Arizona

Through healthcare platforms like Nursa, licensed practical nurses in Arizona can connect with LPN jobs in diverse settings, such as hospitals, nursing homes, and home healthcare. The advantage of finding jobs with Nursa is that LPNs can filter search results to find high-paying, flexible PRN jobs near them.

Briefcase purple icon

Pick Up a Job Today

Find per diem PRN job opportunities in your area. High paying CNA, LPN and RN and many more are now available now.

Join Nursa
Building Purple Icon

Post Your Jobs Today

Facilities who use Nursa fill 3 times as many open per diem shifts, on average, compared to trying to fill the shifts themselves.

Post Jobs
Nursa is no 1 mobile app for clinicians

Download the App Now

App store Button
Google Play button