Pick up an Extra Shift
Earn some extra money this week
Per Diem and PRN JobsQuick ans Easy to ApplyVIEW JOBS
If you’re a registered nurse (RN) looking for ways to advance your career, then this post is for you. Working on-demand PRN RN jobs or per diem shifts can open doors for you professionally, that you may not otherwise even see. We’ll go through the ways you can make per diem nursing shifts part of your professional life, the benefits that you’ll gain, and show you how to get started with NursaTM to make it all come together for you.
Four Ways for RNs to Incorporate Working Per Diem Jobs into Their Life
So how does working per diem advance your career? There are four ways you can incorporate per diem nursing jobs into your professional life.
1. Pick up PRN shifts a few nights or days per month. Whether you’re already employed full-time or part-time you can organize your schedule so that you have room a few times a month to pick up per diem nursing shifts.
2. Pick up PRN shifts to get back into the industry. If you’ve taken extended leave from your nursing career, whether for schooling, burn out, or caring for family members; picking up shifts on demand is a great way to ease back into nursing.
3. Pick up PRN shifts to supplement your non-nursing job. Even if you’ve decided to leave the industry, you don’t have to let your hard-earned license and your skills slide. Keep current with the profession while you pursue your non-nursing interests all while supplementing your income.
4. Make PRN your full-time gig. There are tons of benefits to making PRN work your full-time job. So many, that we wrote a post dedicated to the topic. Read “Gig Economy is Booming: PRN Nursing Shifts Can Be Your Gig“.
Incorporate per diem shifts into your life in whichever manner feels right for you and reap the benefits. You don’t have to do all four, and there’s no limit to when you should do any at all. Working PRN shifts gives you control over your income, your professional career, and your schedule.
Benefits for Registered Nurses Who Pick Up PRN RN Jobs
1. Benefit of added income – There’s the obvious benefit that working extra shifts means extra pay. However, you might not have known that PRN shifts are often paid out at a higher hourly rate than your average full-time or part-time regularly scheduled shifts. Facilities can pay a higher rate for PRN shifts because the PRN contracts don’t include benefits such as health insurance or retirement contributions.
2. Benefit of networking – Working per diem shifts at a facility that you aren’t regularly employed for allows you to make connections with other clinicians, administration, and management for other facilities. Establishing a reputation for yourself as someone who is hard-working, skilled, and adaptable will benefit you. Obtaining recommendations from people of various settings about your capabilities will boost your professional profile and resume. In the future when a coveted position at one of these facilities is available, your PRN experience may just be the leg up you need to set you above other applicants.
3. Benefit of gaining specialty experience – If you’re tied down to one unit or specialty at your regular job but are interested in other units or specialties, working per diem shifts can gain you the experience you want. Some facilities will require certifications in certain specialties, and yet to be a certified specialist you usually need hours of experience first. Search for those per diem jobs that are in the specialty or unit that you have an interest in, and start earning your hours.
4. Benefit of control over your schedule. As a registered nurse working per diem shifts, you have the control over what shifts you work (when) and which facilities you contract yourself out to (where). You don’t have to organize your life around your PRN shifts like you do a regular job. Instead, you organize your PRN shifts around your life. If you want to experience working in a research hospital then look for those per diem shifts.
5. Benefit of challenging your skills. Nursing in a medical environment you already know and are familiar with can provide you a sense of confidence and security in your skills. Picking up PRN shifts in a facility that is new to you will test your skills of adaptability and quick thinking.
6. Benefit of learning a facility’s work environment without making a long-term commitment. You can think of PRN shifts as a test drive for a new car. You never buy a new car without taking it for a drive first, and often you test drive several before making your purchase. Consider working PRN in the same manner. Check out different facilities near you to learn how management and administration interact with their nursing staff. Is it a positive workplace? Is the staff content? Is the proper PPE provided?
NursaTM Is the Bridge to Per Diem RN shifts at Facilities Near You
At this point you may be thinking, “okay, working PRN sounds great, but how do I get started?” It’s easy, download the app and register with NursaTM today. Our mobile nurse staffing application makes connecting to per diem RN jobs at healthcare facilities near you possible, all in one place.
Ordinarily, to work per diem shifts at multiple facilities would be a bit of a hassle. You don’t need to go to each facility and apply. Our platform allows you to create a professional digital portfolio that is securely stored on our servers. Accordingly, once you’ve verified your registered nursing license you can get started right away browsing the hundreds of high-paying PRN jobs available at medical facilities around you.
We have connections to facilities across the nation. No matter where you are, we will provide you with those connections through our per diem nurse staffing app. The entire process from application to landing the job is all completed in one place. When you have questions, those too can be asked and answered in our built-in chat interface.
Download our smartphone app right away and get started landing PRN shifts at healthcare facilities near you today!